On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 11:37:52AM -0800, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 01:32:14PM +0100, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
>
> > Yes, but if you know the length of the chain and charateristics of all
> > clocks and their timestamping, you can tune the servos to minimize
> > their gain peaking for the synchronization of the last clock. This can
> > be done with the pi servo in ptp4l.
>
> Cool.
>
> Have you ever published examples of this?  That would interest me.

No, I don't remember doing that. I'd expect there to be a thick book
written on this subject, likely from someone working in telco, with a
conclusion that it's more practical to require all PLLs to have their
gain peaking very small (e.g. 0.1 or 0.2 dB), assuming all chains of
clocks are long.

--
Miroslav Lichvar