Hi All,

I need some guidance on a career choice.

I am mainly into Linux Systems Engineering with daily activity on

RH-based system, NFS, Apache, tomcat, Mail - qmail and so on, which are

prime roles for an internet domain company. I really love the profile I

am working on.

key roles:

- have a team that monitors our servers and informs in case of alerts

- implementation of online projects based on needs on development team

- freedom of R&D on various opensource application meeting our needs.

Which usually includes basics such as apache, solr, dfs etc..

Recently, I came across an opening with a firm that mainly is an

e-commerce site. Its only and prime project is a web-based-shopping

portal.

I have been told that it will be a great learning experience (by its

CTO). I need to be sure if this role helps :

- ATG ecommerce.. administration (but i am not sure of the role,

exactly). Came across a discussion on Nabble where many were considering

ATG certification

- No root access to any of their servers (note that they have fewer

server than my current employer)

- Implementation and maintaining servers are outsourced.

- I was told that current admins there are involved in proactive

monitoring. No idea what that means exactly & what all they monitor.

Now the catch..

The offer is tempting for a jump. I believe that my current employer is

not appraising my efforts, as a result my remuneration has been stagnant

since 2 years!

I am confused on whether or not to accept this opening. My doubts are

that I may become more of a monitoring admin than the one who is

involved in R&D and implementation.

Secondly, this may lead me to ATG..  am I going to lose out on Linux

skills?

I need help.. suggestions.. I am confused as I have a dead-lock of

thoughts in my head! At one side my family is forcing me in to taking it

for the increment it is offering. On other side, my friend who are/were

Linux admins think that I should wait for the right one.

Kindly help !

Thanks!

Hi,

For what are you waiting man??? go for it, always accept good offers, you never
know it will again come back to you or not. We can never assume about new job
profile, if you don't like then change after 9 months.. If you are getting
DOUBLE of your take home salary you must not think further..

If you can mention the company then any of the member can comment on it if he
know about the company's profile.. Its upon you to disclose or not. Good Luck
always to ALL................

Cheers,
Mubeen...