--- On Sun, 6/6/10, DoOrsOfpErcEpTiON <anup...@gmail.com> wrote:
From: DoOrsOfpErcEpTiON <anup...@gmail.com>Subject: [LinuxVadaPav] Career
Guidance neededTo: linuxvadapav@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 6 June, 2010, 5:58 PM

Hi All,

I need some guidance on a career choice.

I am mainly into Linux Systems Engineering with daily activity on
RH-based system, NFS, Apache, tomcat, Mail - qmail and so on, which are
prime roles for an internet domain company. I really love the profile I
am working on.
key roles:
- have a team that monitors our servers and informs in case of alerts
- implementation of online projects based on needs on development team
- freedom of R&D on various opensource application meeting our needs.
Which usually includes basics such as apache, solr, dfs etc..

Recently, I came across an opening with a firm that mainly is an
e-commerce site. Its only and prime project is a web-based-shopping
portal.
I have been told that it will be a great learning experience (by its
CTO). I need to be sure if this role helps :
- ATG ecommerce.. administration (but i am not sure of the role,
exactly). Came across a discussion on Nabble where many were considering
ATG certification
- No root access to any of their servers (note that they have fewer
server than my current employer)
- Implementation and maintaining servers are outsourced.
- I was told that current admins there are involved in proactive
monitoring. No idea what that means exactly & what all they monitor.

Now the catch..
The offer is tempting for a jump. I believe that my current employer is
not appraising my efforts, as a result my remuneration has been stagnant
since 2 years!

I am confused on whether or not to accept this opening. My doubts are
that I may become more of a monitoring admin than the one who is
involved in R&D and implementation.
Secondly, this may lead me to ATG.. am I going to lose out on Linux
skills?

I need help.. suggestions.. I am confused as I have a dead-lock of
thoughts in my head! At one side my family is forcing me in to taking it
for the increment it is offering. On other side, my friend who are/were
Linux admins think that I should wait for the right one.

Kindly help !

Thanks!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed

Dear Anup,
It seems you are getting good exposure in your current company, only issue with
the package. Secondly, you are confused about the role in other company, which
might be only monitoring the server.
Here I would like to share my personal experience. I was in Kingdom of Bahrain,
where customer puts condition to the outsorced companies to provide experienced
and certified engineers. To get the project, the company hires well qualified,
for example, for network administration CCIE qualified engineers and pay them
high salary. But once the experienced and techno-hungry engineer(s) joines the
company, he/they quits or run away with 2-3 months, cause he/they come to know
that there is nothing to do. For month and month they would have to sit idle,
no technical growth although getting 3 times more salary.The bad thing about
this is the engineers I have seen were belongs to reputed MNC, just for salary
growth, they played with their career.
You know if you have job is your hand you can negotiate like anything. The good
companies always look into your current profiles. IT Industry is very big and
you might get similar offer with current job profile.
If you want to grow with technology, and would like to perform the technical
tasks as engineer then I would suggest you to identify your needs (money) and
goals (career) and then take the decision.