Yes, this is indeed a misunderstanding. What you refer to is not what
I'd call "udev" configuration. Using X InputClass Sections is simply
what the name implies: A method of configuring the device through X11. I
put that in contrast with what HAL was "capable" of, namely assigning
attributes input.x11_options as mentioned earlier, therefore configuring
the device itsself (or rather: specifying options for X)

So far, udev doesn't to any configuration like HAL used to - althought
it would be possible with custom sysfs attributes.

I've also run into the problem with independently configuring multiple
dependend devices, I'll see into what has been suggested, thanks.