[Med] No. For example, the allocation of a new LISP type will require a
standard track document as per RFC8113. Such considertaons are not covered in
the the bis document.

 RFC8113
> is authoriative for Type 15 sub-type values.

[Med] Not only for that, but also for allocating future type values.

> > ·         An IANA section is to be added to the bis document.
>
> Yes, I can do that since the packet formats moved from RFC6830 to
> RFC6833bis.

[Med] Thank you. Please list the type values to be assigned by IANA.

> > ·         I wouldn’t list “Not Assigned 9-14  b'1001'- b'1110'” here
> because these values can be allocated in the future. I would avoid
> mismatches with the IANA registry.
>
> When they are assigned, this document will change to reflect the new
> values. We want to be explicit to tell people they are not assigned versus
> not being listed at all.

[Med] We have a registry for that. This information will be obsolete when new
assignments show up. I reiterate my comment.

> > ·         “LISP Map-Notify-Ack:               5     b'0101'” and “LISP
> Info-Request/Reply:           7     b'0111'” are not assigned yet by IANA.
> The document should include requests in the new IANA section; these values
> can be indicated as preferred values according to RFC8113:
>
> I will do that for Map-Notify-Ack since it is part of standard protocol.

[Med] Ok, thanks.

> cannot do it for type 7 since the NAT-traversal is not a working group
> document (yet).

[Med] then, please remove Info-Request/Reply from this document.

> >    The values in the ranges 5-7 and 9-14 can be assigned via Standards
> >    Action [RFC5226].  Documents that request for a new LISP packet type
> >    may indicate a preferred value in the corresponding IANA sections.
>
> I will add this text. Thanks.
>
> > ·         “LISP Map-Referral:      6     b'0110'” is about a temporary
> assignment not a permanent one.
>
> No it is permanent because LISP-DDT is progressing to RFC (standards
> track).

[Med] the IANA registry says the following: "LISP DDT Map-Referral (TEMPORARY -
registered 2017-04-19, expires 2018-04-19)". I know that value will be
permanent assigned when DDT is in the standard track, but we are not yet there.

> > ·         The document may include a discussion about the exhaustion of
> type values. That discussion can remind the reader that an extended space
> is provisioned for that purpose : “15.subtype(0-1023)”.
>
> It may but should it? Why don’t we cross that bridge when we come to it?

[Med] Perhaps, this will be trivial to cross that bridge, but I prefer to
include an explicit sentence into the bis to call it out.

> > ·         The document should IMO include some text to encourage
> designers to use the “15.subtype(1024-4095)” in early stages of extension
> specifications. The WG will decide whether a type code will be assigned in
> the standard track ranges.
>
> I will add that. Thanks.
[Med] Thank you.