Craig Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>1) I wouldn't go as far as Greg Skinner's suggestion of a waiting
>period allowing for challenges. Deciding on how to resolve challenges
>sounds like an issue that would open a big can of worms.

In the FCC's case, I don't believe an applicant can be blocked from
going on the air for arbitrary reasons.  There has to be some
nontrivial justification for the challenge, such as the station would
interfere with another station in the area.  So in this case, I was
envisioning that the challenge period would be long enough for someone
who wants to mount a legal challenge based on meaningful grounds (like
actual infringement of the mark) to do so.

To answer Michael Sodnow's question, do you at least acknowledge the
possibility that there are *some* reasons why one registrant might
have some legal justification to challenge another's application?

>2) Requiring a statement about the purpose of the domain name being
>registered isn't likely to help much, but it probably won't hurt, so
>there are potential gains there. On the other hand, how hard is this
>to implement? What would this involve with regard to existing
>registrations?

I don't think it would take that much time to implement.  A few extra
lines in the whois database management and server code.  I wouldn't
expect that existing registrants need to maintain this information,
and in fact for domains that are approved without challenge it no
longer needs to be displayed (but might be maintained for historical
purposes).

--gregbo