Hello Gregbo -- You ask...

}I guess I have never really understood the ORSC position on new TLDs,
}because it doesn't seem to me that it makes the TM problems go away
}for quite some time, if ever.

Well, it is very simple!  More TLDs make it easier for parties to
share the use of given SLD names, each under a distinctly different
TLD, so the faster we add new gTLDS, the faster we will solve the
conflict problems, and conversely, the slower we go the slower we
solve the conflict problems.

The wierd part of this whole issue is that the TM forces seem to be
dead set against the DNS being allowed to have numerous TLD categories
like the TM "industry" has, which would allow the same SLD name to be
unabiguously used by different parties with different TLDs, just
because the same SLD with a differnet TLD is in fact a distinctly and
distinctively different name.

So, the mystery of what is the ORSC "policy postion" is that ORSC
advocates opening up the root to as many TLDs as the market wants.
No more, no less!  And sooner rather than later!

Because the lack of gTLD names is THE CORE PROBLEM!

Cheers...\Stef

>From your message Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:59:28 -0800 (PST):
}
}Einar Stefferud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
}
}>And, when this reality dawns on [TM interests], they will see that
}>more TLDs will in fact solve their problems by providing lots of
}>qualifiers and differentiators.  How many "qualifier" categories does
}>TM law already recognize?
}
}Good question.  When I brought up the subject sometime back, the
}thousands of qualifiers.  Marks are registered geographically,
}according to the type of business, etc.
}
}>Why should DNS have any fewer the TM?  Why not lots more?
}
}We have had this discussion before (and never seem to be able to
}resolve it).  There are serious concerns as to how well DNS will work
}with hundreds of thousands of TLDs.
}
}Furthermore, are TLDs exclusive in nature?  If so, what happens when a
}business expands into another area?  Are they forced to move to a more
}inclusive TLD (assuming one exists)?  Are they forced to register in
}multiple TLDs?  What happens if their names are in use in the target
}TLDs?
}
}What stops TM interests from taking people in any TLD to court?  It's
}not as if all the "qualifying mark" TLDs will be created
}instantaneously.  Until enough TLDs are created to sufficiently
}qualify a business (assuming that ever happens), there is still a real
}concern that TM interests will continue to fight for the names they
}want to protect.
}