In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Greg Skinner writes:

> The reason I am asking is because once we get to the level of hundreds
> of thousands of TLDs, we risk the DNS performance problems that have
> been discussed earlier.  That would have an effect on the entire
> Internet.  So it seems at the very least, we need to proceed slowly in
> adding TLDs, so we can study its effect on DNS performance and make
> changes to it if necessary to allow it to scale.

>From the domainwalk data:

        +----------------------+------+-------+--------+---------+
        | Country              | TLD  | 2LD   | 3LD    | Hosts   |
        +----------------------+------+-------+--------+---------+
        | JAPAN                | JP   |    97 |  38979 | 1718935 |
        | UNITED STATES        | US   |    75 |   3118 | 1642418 |
        | CANADA               | CA   |  5048 | 259457 | 1584273 |
        | GERMANY              | DE   | 77016 | 398631 | 1375114 |

Whether you do it on 2LD, 3LD or even 4LD level, it seems to work, so
why not on TLD level? It's mainly a matter of horse power, I'm quite
sure BIND is capable.

But, if one restricts applications to groups of applicants rather then
allowing individual applicants, one would avoid excessive
proliferation.

el