On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 02:59:30PM -0500, Mikki Barry wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 01:14:54PM -0500, Mikki Barry wrote:
> >
> >> As the usage,
> >
> >registering a name in DNS is a use of the name.
>
> Please provide a case site.  The only cases I've read on the subject hold

Do you mean "case cite" as in "citation"? There is no need to provide
such a citation -- registration in DNS is a "use" on its face -- if
nothing else, it's use is to prevent someone else from using the name
for some other purpose.

[...]
> Some would say that changing the mechanism by which one registers a domain
> name (to provide for exclusions, or to mandate trademark like searches,
> etc.) would be a "re-engineering" of the DNS system.  I agree with that.

Some would be using the phrase "re-engineering of the DNS" in a truly
idiosyncratic way, then.  The mechanism of registering a name is
completely separate from the operation of the DNS.  DNS works fine
without any registration mechanism whatsoever -- when I assign domain
names to hosts on my network there is no registration involved...

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair                         "Do good, and you'll be
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                               lonesome." -- Mark Twain