                                         ********************************
> >> the continuing pattern of poor decision-making the USG has made with
> >> respect to NSI and
>
> > If it's demonstrably false, demonstrate it.  Prove that the US
> > government lacks the legal tools necessary to deal with monopolies.
> > In other words, rewrite history.  Prove that Teddy Roosevelt wasn't
> > busting trusts 100 years ago.  Go ahead, Dave.  Show us your stuff.
>
> While it's true that the USG has the legal tools necessary to deal
> with monopolies, it's not clear that NSI would be recognized as a
> monopoly.  Therefore, it's not clear that the USG has the legal
> resources to deal with NSI as if it were a monopoly.

Dave's argument is that because the USG uses its power poorly it has
no power.  This is illogical.  I was ignoring his argument and asking
him to prove his conclusion logically.  Your argument is different.

I claim no detailed knowledge of US law, but I have heard European
Commission officials who should know what they are talking about
assert that NSI is a monopoly under the rules of the game here.
Furthermore, it is my understanding that the European Commission
has taken no action against NSI because they regard it as operating
under the sponsorship of the US government.  In other words, if the
USG took action against NSI and failed, the Commission would doubtless
take action as well, and probably succeed under our different rules.

> > No one has spoken of demonic predilections here.  I have, however,
> > said several times that the ICANN board knows little about the
> > Internet and has not demonstrated any competence in solving its
> > problems.
>
> As an aside, I don't think this is true of all board members.
> Certainly, it's untrue of Jun Murai and Mike Roberts.  I wish they
> would contribute to the discussions here, particularly in areas where
> they've had experience.  That would go a long way towards building
> trust, IMO.

I usually say "the ICANN board as a group".  Apologies for abbreviating.

My information is that Jun Murai takes no part in ICANN board activities.
And personally I do not believe that Mike Roberts speaking out would
incline people to trust the ICANN board.

--
Jim Dixon                                                 Managing Director
VBCnet GB Ltd                http://www.vbc.net        tel +44 117 929 1316