On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 08:21:09AM +0000, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> > Precisely the same thing could be said about *any* measure designed
> > to protect a minority -- a minority is a special interest, by
> > definition.
>
> For any "constituency" there is an opposite.

This is a metaphysical claim.  It has no relation to reality.  The
reality is that political relationships are very much more
complicated.

[...]

> And yet all those latter constituencies are being ignorred and submerged
> by the various proposals.

That's because they are theoretical constructs, not realities.  It's
entertaining to play with theoretical constructs -- I do it all the
time myself -- but at some point you have to return to the
engineering point of view, and work with the actual material
available.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain