Greg and all,

Greg Skinner wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kerry  Miller) wrote:
>
> > Please don't take it as an insult ;-). In response to my suggestion
> > for a *digital meeting,  your reply, involving publicity, funding,
> > providing RA relays (and presumably transcribers for the text-
> > bound?) etc seemed more relevant to an analog (f2f) kind -- but isnt
> > it just that kind of staging which *generates* the sense of urgency
> > that asynchronous communication has happily dispensed with?
>
> Perhaps I didn't understand what you meant by "digital meeting."
>
> I was thinking that providing a variety of tools for conferencing
> would allow for a diversity of participation means.

  And a good idea this is ahd it has been offered before to the ICANN
Interim Board, and was not availed by them.  Curious, eh?

> Asynchronous participation, like email or usenet news, is something
> that doesn't require much setup (unless it's not available where you
> are).  That might make it seem less urgent.
>
> I think there is a preference among people to have face-to-face, or at
> least telephone conferences because there are some things that are not
> communicated very well in email and other text-based media.  Tone of
> voice and facial expression lend much to the communication process.

  Good points, and should be well taken.  It is for this reason that
Multicast
and or Internet Video conferenceing can and should have been used at
a minimum.  But it seems that again the ICANN Interim Board, wishes to
keep a low a profile as possible and limit to whatever extent it can to
broader participation...

> > In digital terms, however, how would one make this distinction of
> > before and after? -- even if it was felt to be necessary? Isnt it
> > conceivable that those who are 'working out' the agenda would be
> > identically the same as those who will 'consider the issues
> > beforehand'?
>
> This is certainly possible.  I was thinking that it is helpful to have
> an idea of the goals you want to accomplish, which an agenda can help
> with.  Also, keep in mind that over time, the number of participants
> in the process will change, so the issues and the agenda itself may
> change as well.
>
> > Tell me again, please, why sponsoring "a framework of
> > coordinated international meetings, to ... discuss the transition"
> > should emotionally involve anyone in the success or failure of the
> > (a) transitional *product of those meetings?
>
> I sense that many people are emotionally involved in these issues for
> a number of reasons.  That would explain why they are frustrated when
> the product, or even process is not going in the way they hoped it
> would.

  Certainly true Gregbo!  And much of the frustration could have been so
easily eliminated had the ICANN Interim Board availed themselves
of resources that were and are available to them.