Greg Skinner wrote:

> I think there is a preference among people to have face-to-face, or at
> least telephone conferences because there are some things that are not
> communicated very well in email and other text-based media.  Tone of
> voice and facial expression lend much to the communication process.

This is certainly true for some, but very expensive and limiting.  I much
prefer to discuss things on the list where everyone can have their say and
things are more carefully thought out and expressed.   I often think we
should conduct all our business on the list and dispense with
"representatives" all together.

And, while some people prefer personal meetings because they have more
control in such settings,  I usually feel disadvantaged when someone else
has the gavel.