Michael Sondow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, I think you are exaggerating. It's part of this techno-mystique
>surrounding the Internet, which technical people who feel insecure
>about their social and linguistic skills are often pulling. In any
>case, there was nothing technical in this dialogue that was so far
>above a user like me. What I was questioning was the intentionally
>opaque, "in-group" manner of expression, and what the purpose of
>using such artificial language could be on this supposedly open mail
>list. To impress others? To use the list for a private conversation?
>Or, unwittingly, a mistaken appreciation of their audience?

Hmmm ...

I think you are overreacting.  (Does anyone here who isn't involved in
technical Internet work feel Dave Farber and Dave Crocker were
"speaking in tongues?")  It is possible that they have had this
discussion before, and were just sort of playing it out.  I don't see
any harm in that.

Anyway, with regards to the use of mbone audio/video for upcoming
meetings, since it is currently being used for meetings that are
considered important (e.g. IETF conferences), I don't see why it can't
be used for this.  The only concern I might have is if for some reason
things don't work so well, either because of a particularly bad
connectivity day or some mistakes in configuration.  The press might
have a field day with that, perhaps.  But there were problems with the
Nov 14 audio/video setup, and no one from the press seemed to think
that was a concern.

--gregbo