At 09:38 AM 1/11/99 -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Dave Farber wrote:
>
>> What this means is that the Board members are unwilling to expose their
>> reasons and process to public view. Funny I seem to remember having
>> effective decision making done in open meetings. If it is the publics
>> business then let it be done in public.
>
>You will get no argument from me on this point. The only persons I have
>heard defending this position has been the ICANN board itself, IBM(in
>Boston), and perhaps some of the other "unamed third parties" that the
>ICANN board has been meeting with who will not self identify.
>
>To the ICANN board: THIS DOES NOT ENGENDER TRUST.

I was in Aero-space, Hughes Aircraft Company (HAC), at the time that many
DoD contractors got slammed for dirty-dealing and failing to meet
accountability obligations, a la Air Force contract requirements. This was
in the mid to late '80's. Lots of accusations and legal work was hitting
the fan. HAC came out relatively unscathed. Why, one might ask? Because
they had instituted a policy and education campaign that basically said the
following, almost verbatim;

"We must not only avoid wrong-doing, we must also avoid the very appearance
of wrong-doing."

This is a very high standard, certainly beyond legal requirements. What
this policy engenders is trust over time. As long as such a policy is in
place, from the top-level, and educated/enforced, then accusations of
embezzelment, at a corporate level, are seen as ludicrous. I would never
dream of HAC selling the USG $50K screw-drivers, whereas I would certainly
consider this from General Dynamics.

Although we sometimes fall short, I believe that ORSC tries to live up to
this. What is disturbing is that ICANN doesn't even try and they admit that
nor does DNSO.ORG, IMHO.

Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing...
                -- Thomas Jefferson