At 1/10/99, 03:54 PM, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>At 11:36 AM 1/10/99 -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>
>>My personal feeling is that a bicameral model might be a reasonable approach
>>to this issue. I believe ISOC employs this very model, with individual
>>memberships and corporate memberships. This would seem like a fair
>>approach to the DNSO, and a reasonable compromise between a completely
>>flat model, and one that is constituency based and involving complex
>>weighting schemes. It also takes much of the admistrative hassle out of
>>figuring out who is a member of what constituency(and validation of) for
>>purposes of DNSO membership. Each branch has equal voting power. Of course
>>there is the issue of possible conflicting votes between the two, and some
>>sort of "tiebreaker" mechanism would be necessary.
>>
>>Thoughts?
>
>You are aware, of course, that the current bi-cameral model was a political
>expedience, a kludge that happens to work.
>
>That said, it would appear that these would be ISP's/Domain holders, and
>end-users. I am begining to see the DNSO as more like a Senate. I have yet
>to see anything resembling a House of Representatives, however. But, this
>is ceeding to the InterNet Governance approach, which I basically disagree
>with. Like it as not, we simply don't have the authority of deadly-force to
>enforce any sort of governance model.

Hi Roeland,

I agree with your premise, if not your conclusion.

The *lack* of a single, world-wide authority for
the Internet is the very *reason* that ICANN will
assume the role of Internet governance (assuming
that it succeeds in its role as envisioned).

For it is only through a "consent of the governed"
approach that all of the privately owned networks
will continue to voluntarily agree to interconnect
to the Internet.

Consistent with the comments of others, open Board
meetings are a required and vitally important part
of this process.

Jay.