Patrick and all,

Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>
> > That said, it would appear that these would be ISP's/Domain holders, and
> > end-users.
>
> No. A domain name holder may or may not be an ISP. It has no relevance to
> their securing and use of a domain name.
>
> It's very simple:
>
> 1) Individual membership, that is membership on behalf of your own
>    personal interests. Membership fees 1X
>
> 2) "Business" membership, that is membership on behalf of the interests
>     of an organization. Membership fees 10X (or something like that.)
>
> It's simple, it's clean, and you don't get mired down in defining
> constituencies ad nauseum and creating complex and brittle weighting
> schemes. Each "branch" has equal voting power. This gives an effective
> voice to end users and to industry.

  Patrick, I realize that you are being sincere here, but what you suggesting
isn't that simple or that clean.  I would have thought that this would be
obvious to you.  As long as companies or organizations have a special
"Type" or "Kind" of relationship with respect to "Membership" there is
going to be undo and preferential treatment on behalf of those very
same Companies and Organizations.  This is systemic in these
types of models.  Look at what it has done for instance in our own
USG for instance in recent years.

  You are proposing in addition is giving corporations and organizations
voting power.  This is a danger in that many, if not most of the
individual Domain Name holders are also employees of these very
same corporations.  This gives them ( The corporations and organizations)
a position to apply subtle pressure on these individuals that might unduly
influence policy matters.

> > I am begining to see the DNSO as more like a Senate. I have yet
> > to see anything resembling a House of Representatives, however.
>
> I was actually referring to seperation within the DNSO itself for
> representational purposes. Come down one structural level. ;-)
>
> >  But, this is ceeding to the InterNet Governance approach, which I
> > basically disagree with.
>
> I hate to break it to you, but all the elements are there. You have
> people/organizations that want voting power. Why do they want voting
> power? Why to control the direction and decisions made by the organization
> that will govern its' operations. They want control of their own
> destinies.

  No Patrick, the don't control their own destinies as you suggest.  See
my comment above.