At 02:28 PM 5/25/99 -0400, A.M. Rutkowski wrote:
>Karl,
>
>It's obvious that you and a few others on this list
>have alternative ideological constructs of the universe
>surrounding Network Solutions.  Those of use who were

There is nothing ideological or philosophical about statements and
mis-statements of fact.

While it might be comforting to try to dismiss these observations and
corrections about NSI, it is neither accurate nor responsive to the current
discussion.

NSI has not pursued a business path involving entrepreneurial risk.  They
simply built upon a protected revenue stream, provided by the US government
and created by others.

Those are facts, not ideology.  If you want to claim otherwise, try to do
it with details, and not condescending dismissal.

On the other hand, the history of this piece of discussion leads one to be
entirely unsurprised at this latest tactic.

>I think most of us can agree, however, that Network
>Solutions is only one of many players, and the real

This is nicely true, theoretically, and entirely false, pragmatically, in
terms of the specific market that NSI occupies.

NSI is a monopoly within that market segment, by virtue of percentage size
of that market and in terms of government protection.

But I can see where a paid agent of NSI might want to characterize NSI as
"merely" one among many.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>