Hi Kerry,

ICANNs position is subterfuge at best.

The initial vs. interim board distinction
was an issue because ORSC and BWG made it
one.  We were concerned that this board,
formed from a "virgin birth," would make
decisions of substance before the Internet
community could appoint representatives.

It is now apparent that our concerns were
well founded :-(

Jay.

At 04:29 PM 6/16/99 , Kerry  Miller wrote:

>Esther wrote,
>
>> NSI has promoted the notion that ICANN somehow has violated the
>> White Paper by having an "initial" Board rather than an "interim"
>> Board. This argument is pointless. The White Paper calls for the
>> consensus entity that became ICANN to "appoint, on an interim
>> basis, an initial Board of Directors (an Interim Board)"  (emphasis
>> in original]. This "initial" Board was to serve until it
>> established "a system of electing a Board of Directors."  Thus, the
>> terms "initial" and "interim" were clearly synonymous in the White
>> Paper.
>

>Article V: Section 1 indeed speaks of an "Initial Board":
>
>The initial Board of Directors of the Corporation ("Initial Board")
>shall consist of [a] nine At Large members, [b] the President (when
>appointed) and [c] those Directors that have been selected in
>accordance with these bylaws by any Supporting Organization(s)
>that exists under Section 3(a) of Article VI during the term of any of
>such At Large members.  The At Large members of the Initial
>Board shall serve until September 30, 1999, unless by a two-thirds
>(2/3) vote of all the members of the Board that term is extended...
>

>Since only the at-large members and yourself are currently sitting,
>minus the remaining Directors indicated in clause c, beginning with
>the conjunction 'and,' it seems to me clear that *as yet* INCANNs
>*Initial Board does not yet exist, and that it significantly clarifies
>the process if this 'at large' (not to say ad-hoc) half of the Initial
>Board were designated as something else, for instance, 'Interim
>Board.  Do you not agree that when the (conscientious) history
>books are written, they will wish to make some such distinction --
>for instance, to make it perfectly clear that amendments to the
>bylaws (not to mention certain other statements of policy) were
>made without the participation of any representatives selected by
>the organizations membership?
>
>(You may be interested to know that when I suggested this to Mike
>Roberts, (3 June) he responded (which in itself is more than some
>do!): "The Board will grow incrementally as the SO's add their
>Directors, and as the at large elections are held. I don't see any
>useful distinction between what the board does or doesn't do during
>any particular stage and I doubt that history will either."
>-- that is,  whether there are member representatives or not is
>apparently not a useful distinction. May we infer that whether he
>carries the title of President of this board is also not very useful?)
>
>In particular, when you say
>>  The White Paper specifically called on the "initial" Board to
>> formulate the necessary consensus policies to allow competition to

>> be introduced as quickly as possible.
>
>doesnt it strike you as not merely "quick," but downright premature
>for 9 appointed members to proceed to do the work of 19 elected
> [...]

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.    404-943-0524
What's your .per(sm)?   http://www.iperdome.com