On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 01:16:49 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> The fact that they register names doesn't imply that they agree with
>> your policy.
>
>Of course not.
>
>> So with that in mind, I'd like to know how you gauged their agreement?
>
>Mainly the following:
>
>- We have had a lot of people coming out very explicitly in *favor* of
>the current policy, and stating this in emails, phone conversations etc.
>with the Norwegian registration authority.
>
>- There is a formalized process to handle complaints (ie. of a domain
>name being rejected). We take the number of complaints per year (handled
>through this process), which is very low, as an indication that not too
>many people are terribly dissatisfied with the current policy.

But you have no way of using that to gauge the number of people who
are dissatisified with the policy, but abide by it by not attempting
to register additional names.

I would bet the numbers are much higher.  I remember myself receiving
comments about .NO when there was a discussion on this list earlier
this year about .NO preventing use of some ISO code TLDs of Norwegian
territories.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

"The fact is that domain names are new and have unique
characteristics, and their status under the law is not yet clear."
--Kent Crispin (June 29th, 1999)