Jon,

I think your premise here is right, but I believe there are multiple issues
you touch here:

1) I believe Jon felt (and others knew hom FAR better than I) that HE could
no longer lead the effort solely.

2) The IETF itself expressed/expresses many of the technical aspects of how
the DNS operates.  They have never adequately addressed many of the
operational characteristics, which are quite separate.

3) Other items, such as new TLDs, trademark interests, etc. may require a
different organization, but can still be addressed largely in an IETF-like
manner - meaning the open approach toward participation and comment.
Several of this list's participants have suggested an IPTF - Internet
Policy Task Force - which could address them.  It is at least a model worth
additional discussion and consideration.

4) I do not see how an IETF-like format must preclude necessary safeguards
and due process.  It may require a *different* set of procedures than the
IETF now applies, but the model remains the same.

Gene...

+++