On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:18:23 -0700 (PDT), Greg Skinner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>How does Mike Roberts know this?

Um, this is common knowledge and common sense (admittedly something
Roberts might very well be lacking based on experience, but we must
assume he has them).

>He can't predict the future.  The IANA root might very well be
>subsumed by another root.  Domain names might fade away (like letter
>telephone exchanges did).

Not likely, for the reasons I pointed out previously.

>You are making it sound as if he (and ICANN in general) are part of a
>plot to restrict entry into the registry business.  Another way of
>looking at it is that they are staying out of the way of alternative
>registries.

ICANN has made it VERY clear they ARE restricting entry into the
registry business.  Your arguments about alternative registries is
about as disingenious as Tony saying NSI has competition because there
are 80 ccTLDs that permit global registrations.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

"The fact is that domain names are new and have unique
characteristics, and their status under the law is not yet clear."
--Kent Crispin (June 29th, 1999)