William X. Walsh wrote:

> [The IANA root is the] default root, and you would be surprised how
> many people believe that if they don't point to it, their
> dns/internet will be broken.

Of course lots of people believe this, but is this ICANN's fault, and
does adding lots of new TLDs to the IANA root correct this behavior?

When the new registrars were announced, there were all sorts of
complaints (including some from the alternative TLD crowd) demanding
to know why those companies were chosen.  Why would the situation
with .per, .web, or any of the others be any different?

I'm not saying that these new TLDs *shouldn't* be added to the IANA
root, but what I *am* saying is that I don't see the level of
consensus for those TLDs existing at this time as existed when other
TLDs were added (e.g. .net).

--gregbo