Mark C. Langston wrote:

> On 15 July 1999, Diane Cabell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Further, ICANN isn't a government with guns to enforce such a policy.  If such
> >a decision was intolerable to the greater number of the constituents having to
> >pay it, would it really fly at all?
>
> Oh, we will get a choice?  I was under the impression it would be passed on
> by the registrars, and therefore be made part of the contract between DN
> owner and registrar.  Thus, it's not an optional thing.

Did I misunderstand Richard's question?

> voted unanimously to make anybody with a nameserver
> pay $1 everytime sombody used it for a lookup and
> if you didn't pay this you couldn't run a nameserver

I don't understand, Mr. Langston (frequently and deeply clueless as I am which of
course makes me an ideal at-large member).  The registrars don't own all the name
servers, do they?  How would the registrar's agreement have any impact on the name
servers?

Diane Cabell
http://www.mama-tech.com
Fausett, Gaeta & Lund, LLP