> Probably not in the US, but we surely need the same legislation to apply
> worldwide.
> I would like to be sure that the willybrown case is treated in the same way
> as jacquesdupont or mariorossi or fritzmeier or azizjamal, wherever the
> plaintiff, defendant and Registry are located.

> And this, to the best of my (low) understanding of legal matters, can be
> achieved only via international agreements (WIPO, for instance).

WIPO is merely an organization.  Depending on the nations involved, it
usually takes some amount of action by a national legislature and/or
national executive to adopt such work.

Usually the output of such bodies is not self-actuating.

In the US we have a group that comes up with model laws, such as the
"uniform commercial code".  Each state has to adopt it, and even if the
text adopted is identical, each state interprets it in its own particular
ways.

The same thing will tend to occur even if we had a worldwide WIPO law; it
would be handled differently in different locations.

Imagine, for example, how
"<diety-of-your-choice>skylarks-on-the-sabbath.TLD" would be treated in
several countries that tend to mix religious and civil law.

We're probably not ready for an international law of domain names -- we
have not figured it out very well even in individual national contexts.

And if we were, it really deserves rather more detailed attention by the
various national bodies charged with entering into international
agreements than simply having a group of folks publish a few drafts and
listen to (and ignore) comments for a few weeks as WIPO did.

                --karl--