The Berkman Center does not pay Mr. McLaughlin's salary.  I can understand why
you might be confused, though.  Last year he was a Berkman Fellow.   This year,
however, he is employed by ICANN.  Also, I should point out that not all
Berkman Fellows receive money; some receive the assistance of student research
support or the use of library facilities, etc.  A Fellow is not the same as an
employee.

Prof. Zittrain testified as to the details of the financial relationship
between ICANN and the Berkman Center in his testimony to the House Committee on
Commerce at the July 23 hearing.  His testimony is archived at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/events/  ICANN pays the costs of the
webcasting services that Berkman provides.

Diane Cabell
Berkman Fellow