Jeff and all,

Planet Communications Computing Facility wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Ben Edelman wrote:
>
> > I must say, I think these fields are exceptionally reasonable -- each
> > justified for a legitimate logistical reason, with privacy policies clearly
> > stated on the sign-in form itself.  Nonetheless, if there are
> > counterarguments re why the above should be done differently (or not at all,
> > I suppose...), I'd be open to hearing them, on or off-list.
>
> Well you see that's the point.  Logistal reason.  And you post first name
> and last name information of the participants.
>
> Privacy law certains around an individuals "right to privacy".  If ICANN
> were a commercial organizations, and even a standard non profit
> organization, such rights would not apply.  But ICANN represents a very
> large constituency, and if must respect establish privacy law and
> proceedures.

  Whether or not ICANN was a commercial organization is really not relevant.
But your point is none the less well taken, Jeff...

> The fact you disclose and have a privacy statement is irrelevant.  As a
> democratic NGO, ICANN must understand individual have the right to decline
> providing any information.  And just entering junk into the fields is not
> enough, they must have the right to decline any contribution of personal
> information, a right to decline.

  Exactly right.

> ICANN has no established privacy
> guidelines of any value - understandably - the organization is young.  But
> the issues bear some urgency in consideration.

  The law doesn't differentiate with respect to the age of the organization.
Irrespective of that, ICANN has the considerable or well touted services
of the NTIA and Jones & Day law firm at their disposal.  As such they
have no excuse.  Ignorance of the law is no excuse...