One of the questions to which I didn't get an answer in Chile was what
constitutes a quorum of interest sufficient for ICANN to accept GAC's
advice. If
GAC is the voice of thirty or forty governments, it is presumably not
the voice
of the other 160 plus. Is ICANN supposed to consult the others
privately?

Secondly, the governments have shown a great deal of forbearance in
allowing the
ICANN to self-constitute under the terms of the White Paper; with the
major
commercial carriers governments appear happy to allow the teleology of
interests involved
to play out. After all there are many other existing fora available to
them.
This scenario demands that those who are asking for a voice balance the
legitimate
involvement of regulators, telcos, private trademark interests with
their own
contributions. If not, back to the time-honoured structures, many of
which look
comparatively attractive .

It must come down to funding sources which are not beholden to the above
groups. There is really no point if IBM, MCI, USG, AT&T, Telefonica,
ETSI, the NICs
etc. are the major sources as ICANN becomes a trade association or an
associate UN
forum, not that those options are necessarily a bad thing, just a repeat
performance of many others. If ICANN is to demonstrate some progress as
the
experiment in governance it was supposed to be, it will have to go
further to
make those who wish to maintain a stable internet demonstrate the value
they
find in that stability.

If ICANN is the source of that stability, it is in a position to fund
itself
from those sources of offshore risk capital and putative self-assigned
nationhood
that have come into being precisely because stable international
communications
networks have allowed them to become such.

Suggestions have been made to ICANN and the major players above as to
how it
might uncontroversially do this, starting back in May when the problem
first
appeared. However it will demand some initial level of agreement to
allow it to
function.

MM