Richard Sexton wrote:

> Gimme a break. I've watched IAHC fail for not being this very thing,
> I've watched IFWP try real hard to be just this then get scuttled
> by the IANA Cabal who are now ICANN and who will fail for the
> same reasons - it is not legitimate, open, transparent or
> representative of more than a couple of hundred poeple.

> The failure of ICANN is proof the process works.

Not necessarily.  It seems to me that the failure of ICANN is more due
to the fact that they cannot act independently of established law.  For
example, had they focused their attention on building good relations
throughout the Internet community, setting up an election process, etc,
I don't think they would be in trouble as they are now.

However, this doesn't strike me as an example of Internet self-governance.
The wrist that slapped ICANN's hands was the old order of traditional
government.

--gregbo