On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 09:42:57PM -0700, Greg Skinner wrote:
[...]
> Ellen Rony points out corrected that ICANN's supporters are well
> organized and financially endowed.

Some of them are financially endowed, but, speaking from insider
knowledge, it is patently absurd to say that they are well-organized.
I know from heavy personal experience that ICANN supporters hardly
communicate, let alone organize.  A perusal of the recently released
archives of Joop Teernstra's "Cyberspace Association" reveals that
ICANN opponents were very well organized, before they disintegrated
into bickering.

http://wxw.dso.net/ca-steering/old shows the well-oiled machine using
social engineering techniques to get at ICANN; discussing what to do
about Crocker and Crispin; discussion about how to handle the
Santiago meeting; how to deal with the press, and a bunch of other
stuff.

http://wxw.dso.net/ca-steering, on the other hand, documents a major
rift.

> I believe this is a key point.
> History tells us that organized movements, such as the 1930's radio
> broadcast networks desire to commercialize the radio airwaves, were
> able to succeed.  They were able to demonstrate to Congress that they
> could serve the public interest.  The opponents of the commercial
> broadcasters failed because they were too divided and unable to
> organize themselves sufficiently to sway Congress.

That may simply be a polite way of saying that they an ineffective
small minority.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain