"Richard J. Sexton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greg Skinner wrote:

>> Do you think the Internet community will ever figure it out?

> Do you get alt.sex?

You keep bringing up the creation of alternative hierarchies in usenet
as an example of how the Internet has figured out a problem.  I don't
deny this, however, the point I keep returning to is that you can't
compare the two because usenet is not critical infrastructure to
Internet operation as DNS is.  This is not to say that usenet is not
important.  However, it is nowhere near as necessary for reliable
Internet operation as DNS is.

I also note that a lot of the key figures in IETF and ISOC who support
ICANN never had much to do with usenet news.  Thus it is not very
likely that they have much confidence in that mode of
self-governance.

--gregbo