"Richard J. Sexton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 11:47 AM 10/11/99 -0700, Greg Skinner wrote:

>> Generally speaking, Usenet consists of a user population that is
>> generally much more Internet savvy than the Internet population at
>> large.

> So ?

> The point it, it works. It's not a problem, usenet has grown -
> and rapidly so - in spite of it.

But this is not enough to get Vixie on your side, despite the fact
that he goes back with Usenet a long way.  This is not enough for the
NTIA to seriously consider the Usenet approach as a method of solving
the DNS problem, despite the fact that people like the Haubens argued
for it.

> In other words, if you know of a cluefull usenet do tell me where I
> can find it. Usenet has been called many things but I've neaver
> heard the "cluefull" attribute attached to it as a whole.

I said "generally speaking."  I can always find exceptions.

I should also point out that a lot of the "cluelessness" aspect of
Usenet has more to do with an inability or unwillingness to follow
"rules of etiquette," which has nothing to do with technical or
administrative skills.  For example, those individuals who engaged in
rmgroup wars knew exactly what they were doing.

>> Imagine a House Subcommittee, or for that mattter, a Supreme Court
>> hearing on alternative TLDs, for example.  Brian Carpenter is arguing
>> against them; you argue for them.  What criteria are the House likely
>> to consider significant? What are they to consider a reasonable
>> approach?  What is likely to influence their judgment?  Do you believe
>> that you would be able to convince them?  (It may very well come to
>> that.)

> I'm well aware of their fuddy techniques.

I don't understand what you mean here.

Here's another example.  I see you are on the names list.  There are a
lot of students there, many who have little or no experience with
these issues.  Presumably, someone like Brian Carpenter can join that
list, and argue his position against alternative TLDs.  What criteria
are those students going to use in evaluating his proposal vs. yours?
Do you believe you will be able to convince them that yours is the
correct approach?  (Hint: consider this to be like an "election" where
the "parties" are presenting their points of view.)  Do you believe
that you need to convince them?

--gregbo