"Richard J. Sexton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is all this garbage about Internet Stability Greg? DNS id the most
> robust protocal to ever run over a TCP/IP transport. What instability
> are you talking about?

It's the stability of the namespace, from the perspective of those who
are trying to resolve names.

It is clear to me that people such as Vint Cerf care about stability, and
my guess is that a lot of the big players care about it as well.  Theire
users are not, generally speaking, seasoned Internet engineers or
administrators who can easily "route around" instability (such as TLDs
that tend to vanish and reappear at random).  My guess is, they don't want
to have to be able to route around instability, either.  They want it to
work reliably and predictably.

Since Vint Cerf and some of the others who support ICANN and have gained
respect of the NTIA, Al Gore, etc. are on the side of stability, an
alternative root movement will have to be at least as stable, if it's
to have a chance at succeeding, imho.

--gregbo