Mark, Esther and all,

Mark R Measday wrote:

> Esther,
>
> The conference deals with, amongst other things, the trade and service mark
> agreement extensions to the Paris and Berne conventions proposed under the
> Uruguay Round TRIPS including consolidation of standards, rights enforcement
> and dispute settlement, particularly the extension of well-known marks under
> article 6bis of the Paris convention.
>
> This seemed relevant to ICANN as it deals in macro format with the issues
> preoccupying the DNSO and their application to ICANN namespace, insofar as
> it is IP considerations that have held back the expansion ICANN was formed
> to administer (am I jumping in too deep on that one?).

  A bit deep, I think, yes.  There is NO ICANN Namespace.  But I think
most of us understand your gist here Mark.  Although the ICANN BoD
would like for everyone to consider the Namespace as "ICANN's" it is
not.

> The 20 May 1998 Declaration on Global Economic Commerce specifically
> recognised a need for input from other fora on these issues.

  Agreed.  Same is supposed to be so of ICANN itself in accordance
with the White Paper and the MoU.  However this has not been the
case by in large for ICANN itself.  So it is of little wonder that Esther
is rather clueless on this WTO conference and possibly participating.