I do not think we disagree. I certainly agree with Larry Lessig, and I did
read his book. We disagree on the timing. I am willing to be more patient,
and hope that people like you will continue to demand more accountability.
I did not conclude that all is lost, so long as I see some progress. The
alternatives scare me too. So that is where we disagree. Best wishes.

Tamar

At 10:18 AM 11/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Tamar concludes:  But I
>also recognize that ICANN has to be built.
>
>why Tamar.... **WHY**?
>
>what is gained by building the unaccountable public authority that now
exists?

>where do you see one shred of evidence that these people are
>interested in doing with ICANN a gosh darn thing other than using it
>as a lever to increase their financial winnings in a zero sum game??
>
>read lessig's new book please.....
>
>he finally mentioned  ICANN in passing toward the end....  but there
>is no way it could be taken except very indirectly as an attack on
>ICANN.
>
>what lessig understands with brilliance is the deeply flawed
>foundation on which ICANN is being built..  in the end he talks of
>the role of LAW as a persuader and educator rather than as a club to
>use against an enemy in a zero sum game....
>
>persuade and reason with us....  tell us in detail why you come to
>such a conclusion.  I am persuadable....I am educable...if the
>arguments are there.  but the architects of ICANN incur wrath because
>they refuse to persuade and educate and instead speak ex-cathedra.
>
>I wasn't going to respond but decided to just now when an ICANN
>architect forwarded me you message privately and without comment.
>
>lessig gets it. The ICANN architects do not.  why is that?
>
>Educate the rest of us....  please.  the internet is running just
>fine without ICANN thank you.
>

>>Ken: I was the one who did not believe in the selection process of ICANN's
>>board and who spoke, whenever I could, for membership and election. But I
>>also recognize that ICANN has to be built. The current board is composed of
>>people whom I respect. It has the support of the government, conditioned on
>>changes.
>>
>>I think that criticism of ICANN is absolutely essential until such time as
>>it will be structured correctly, and that you and many others are crucial
>>to this process. But I have not given up hope and especially would not ask
>>Esther to walk away. The fear, mistrust and disrespect among the various
>>group interests in this area is blatant and clear. Each of the groups must
>>gain legitimacy in the eyes of the other. I believe and hope that the US
>>government will not relinquish control over ICANN until it is satisfied
>>that its current deficiencies will be eliminated or reduced. If the
>>executive does not do so, the Congress or other government agencies will.
>>So, Esther, please stay on.
>>
>>Tamar

>The COOK Report on Internet            Index to seven years of the COOK
Report
>431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA  http://cookreport.com
>(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)           ICANN: The Internet's Oversight
Board -