The Internet started in the military for decentralized communication,
then expanded to universities with government research contracts,
then expanded to state-sponsored universities, then private colleges
& universities, then the general public. I stand by my first statement.
The net always was public property until it was decided otherwise,
as public as the street in front of your house, which no one has a
right to declare private without your (our) consent.
-- ken