Il 02/07/2012 14:29, tibz ha scritto:
On 1/7/2012 5:47 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
Are there any JunOS features you consider killer that
are not in pfSense 2.1? What would be these features?

Thanks.

A couple of features that pfSense is lacking according to me (not only compared to SRX/JunOS though):

- Zone-based FW, to replace the current "incoming interface based" system. Or to get the choice between both at the beginning. This is mainly to ease the maintenance. Say I've 8 interfaces/vlans, and 1 is a guest that should only get Internet access. Then I've to create 7 drop rules on this interface to say "to int1_subnet" > block, "to int2_subnet > block", etc until I can safely have a "to any" > pass rule. I can perhaps workaround this by putting some rules in the floating tab, but if I start using it, I must keep in mind that for any interface, there might also be rules for it in the floating tab.

I've suggested (both for pfSense and Monowall) to give the possibility to invert the filtering directions.

In complex environment, it would be a lot more useful to apply filters to outgoing interfaces (instead of incoming interfaces). In this way you write only one statement and only for the interface which is managing the output zone.

If this basic system setting (apply filters to incoming or outgoing interfaces) could be modified, I'm sure all ISP will apply filters to outgoing interfaces.

With output filters, interface management could also be allowed per user, as it would not interphere with other interfaces.

Tonino

- Better logging: I believe it has been discussed numerous of time and I might have not found the final answer on "why it's not possible to log locally". If you run the nano version on a flash card, OK. But if you run it on a traditional hard drive, I see no reason why you could not keep more logs on the box, with rotation every day/week and to have a search module. (I'm not talking about best practice to export logs, etc, just technically, why couldnt we do local?)

- Integrate packages: while the packages system is a good idea to get extra functionnalities, i'm always hesitating whether to use it or not. There are several reason, like the fact that many packages are marked as ALPHA/BETA (which should means not production proof), or the fact that they are not maintained by pfSense's people (which means they could [i'm only guessing here] be broken during an upgrade, or commercial support wont cover issue you get with extra packages [guessing again]). That's why having most used (ie: Squid/Snort) integrated right into pfSense would be more comfortable.

- Identity-based FW, to have in addition to the source IP, the source User/Group. There are several ways to implement this, agent-based or agentless, transparent or explicit. The final objective is of course to get it working in a Windows Active Directory domain. - Real application awareness. I know there are some L7 capabilities under Traffic Shapper (btw I wonder why it's located there), but as far as i've seen, it's quite limited and it allow only to block (when it works) and not to allow. >> These 2 are big "must have" in today's firewalling (it's not my personnal opinion, it's just a fact) so I believe pfSense must definitely get into it.

And what has been said (CLI, commit, ...) in the other answers as well.

Appart from that, pfSense is a great piece of software which a rich set of features and is clearly the best free/open-source FW appliance i've used/tested by now.

Keep up good work.