Hi all!

I am planing to set up a new pfSense server with brand new hardware.
The motherboards that I am thinking of have socket LGA1155 or LGA1150 and come with Intel C204 and C222 chipsets, respectively.

The motherboard producer provides a compatibility list for his boards. He states that the:
- C204 board is compatible with FreeBSD 8.1
- C222 board is compatible with FreeBSD 9.1

I know only very little about FreeBSD, but I think that hardware support is quite similar with the Linux kernel: what once has been added to the kernel, stays there "forever", istn't it? So if the vendor writes "compatible with FreeBSD 8.1" it continues to be compatible with all following versions, such as FreeBSD 8.3, correct? If those figures that the hardware producer provided are correct, it would mean that I could run pfSense 2.1 only on the C204 board, since pfSense 2.1 is based on FreeBSD 8.3, and the C222 board is only compatible from FreeBSD 9.1 and upwards, right?!

Since hardware producers tend to not edit and update such compatibility lists properly, the information provided there could be wrong. For this reason I would like to double-check. Could maybe someone give me a hint where I could look up, which chipsets FreeBSD supports and from what version on?

Best regards
Thinker Rix