On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Paul Mather <p...@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:

> > If those figures that the hardware producer provided are correct, it
> would mean that I could run pfSense 2.1 only on the C204 board, since
> pfSense 2.1 is based on FreeBSD 8.3, and the C222 board is only compatible
> from FreeBSD 9.1 and upwards, right?!
> >
> > Since hardware producers tend to not edit and update such compatibility
> lists properly, the information provided there could be wrong. For this
> reason I would like to double-check. Could maybe someone give me a hint
> where I could look up, which chipsets FreeBSD supports and from what
> version on?

Generally, if it has an Intel chipset and is fairly modern, it is
supported. It may not use every cutting edge feature of the chipset. I have
not had any trouble with any hardware on any version of FreeBSD in the last
15+ years, but I only run it on servers. The issue usually comes with
running funky hardware on desktop class machines where they cut corners
like crazy.

A good place to look is in the "Hardware Notes" that accompanies each
> release.  For example, for 8.3 is is at
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.3R/hardware.html
>
> and for 9.1 it is at http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/hardware.html
>
> .  Also, if you have a specific piece of hardware in mind, a good place to
> ask is the freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org mailing list.  (You don't need
> to subscribe there to post.)  There's a good chance that someone who has
> the hardware or is familiar with it could post whether it works well or not.

The list is good, but always out of date. If not found on the list, but
somethign similar is on it, then definitely ask.