Hi Vick,

On 2013-11-07 15:40, Vick Khera wrote:

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Paul Mather <p...@gromit.dlib.vt.edu <mailto:p...@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>> wrote:

    > If those figures that the hardware producer provided are
    correct, it would mean that I could run pfSense 2.1 only on the
    C204 board, since pfSense 2.1 is based on FreeBSD 8.3, and the
    C222 board is only compatible from FreeBSD 9.1 and upwards, right?!

    > Since hardware producers tend to not edit and update such
    compatibility lists properly, the information provided there could
    be wrong. For this reason I would like to double-check. Could
    maybe someone give me a hint where I could look up, which chipsets
    FreeBSD supports and from what version on?

Generally, if it has an Intel chipset and is fairly modern, it is supported. It may not use every cutting edge feature of the chipset. I have not had any trouble with any hardware on any version of FreeBSD in the last 15+ years, but I only run it on servers. The issue usually comes with running funky hardware on desktop class machines where they cut corners like crazy.

So if I understand you right, even if I use pfSense 2.1 (FreeBSD 8.3) on a motherboard with a brand new chipset (Intel C222) and CPU (e.g. Core i3 / Haswell) it should work, eventhough FreeBSD 8.3 is older than those technologies and might not fully support the chipset yet (e.g. due to general compatibility with i386-64 CPUs?!)?

    A good place to look is in the "Hardware Notes" that accompanies
    each release.  For example, for 8.3 is is at
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.3R/hardware.html
    and for 9.1 it is at
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/hardware.html
    .  Also, if you have a specific piece of hardware in mind, a good
    place to ask is the freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org
    need to subscribe there to post.)  There's a good chance that
    someone who has the hardware or is familiar with it could post
    whether it works well or not.

The list is good, but always out of date. If not found on the list, but somethign similar is on it, then definitely ask.

Ok!

Thank you
Best regards
Thinker Rix