>How would I pull that off?

Computers have several common points of failure. They are  the power supply,
the motherboard, RAM, cooling fans, and the hard drive.

Fans are easy - just make sure they are spinning at the proper speed. This
includes the fan inside the PSU.

If the motherboard is a few years old, it can develop bad capacitors. (caps)
They are easy to spot when you open the case. Any caps that are rounded on
top, are bad.  Some even leak. If so, replace the motherboard. Here are some
sample pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Cheap power supplies often develop bad caps inside too, but it's dangerous
to open the PSU so just swap it out to test. Sometimes you can see the caps
inside if you just look through the openings.

Bad Ram is more rare, but you can test it for free by booting memtest86 or
memtest86+. At least 3 or 4 passes is best. I've had bad ram that didn't
show up until 5 test passes. I like to let the tests run overnight when
possible.

The hard drive is easy. There's no need to run any tests - you just read the
drive's SMART info. It records when sectors are failing, and when other bad
things happen. PfSense has a SMART Status menu under Diagnostics.