On Apr 3, 2014, at 2:38 PM, Bob Gustafson <bob...@rcn.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/2014 04:55 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>> This would enable multiples of 10G performance for load-balancing, packet
>> filtering, and even NAT (with the right switch hardware).
>
> Dreamer - from my Chicago franchised ISP - only on a good day do I get close
> to the 10Mb I am paying for..

The world is changing.

By the end of 2014, Austin will have 3 ISPs providing 1Gbps service (Google
Fiber, Grande, and AT&T.  My house already has FTTH from the last two, and I’m
betting my neighborhood is early in the list for a Google Fiberhood).   Time
Warner is offering 300Mbps over Cable.

The Netgate/ESF offices run a redundant 10Gbps link over to our cabinet in the
co-location center.

Jim