Hi Jim

On 2014-04-05 20:32, Jim Thompson wrote:

On Apr 5, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Thinker Rix <thinke...@rocketmail.com <mailto:thinke...@rocketmail.com>> wrote:

On 2014-04-05 07:00, Ryan Coleman wrote:
And you cannot eliminate three of this with a switch?

I don't know any method how a network switch could replace the NICs of my firewall - other than by operating with VLANs.

But I do not trust VLANs for this. This is not the correct purpose of VLANS, IMO. Using VLAN for segregating networks that should live in physically different network zones because they have fundamental differing security levels, is like placing your firewall into a VM - You can, but you should not.

Sounds like you should look at your design.

No, I don't think so.
I think you should audit your security policy.

Regards
Thinker Rix

'Rix',

.... why do you do this?

Please don't be rude. Your message contains only non-informed opinion backed by hostile invective, and such is not welcome on the list.

"hostile invective" in my posting? Interesting. Could not find anything of that in my posting, though.

Oh, no! Now I remember: Jim Thompson! Once again in his starring role: "the bully of the pfsense list", threatening, ridiculing, insulting and bullying other users who ask questions he does not like (e.g. about if NSA or others have approached pfSense (yet)) or who have another opinion as he has...

If you don't trust VLANs, don't use them.

Thank you, for the approval.

.... <snip some extensive text that tries to ridicule me. BTW: This is a common strategy that many propagandists use to avert suspicion and the same strategy that you used the other time when I asked unconmfortable questions about NSA and pfsense>

But VLANs have their place.

Yes, in networks of homogeneous security level.
They do not have their place when it comes to segment networks with vastly diverging security level, IMO. It is the same discussion as about virtualizing a firewall. Some do it claiming that virtualization is rock solid, others avoid it, because they won't risk it just to save some bucks on hardware.

But everyone can decide that for himself. I don't ridicule you for deciding differently. But you try to ridicule me, once again. Why?

They're used a lot in security applications. Not for very high-security applications (military networks, financial trading networks, etc), but they are effective enough for the network segmentation requirements of PCI DSS.

This SANS paper has a description of the common attacks against a VLAN segmentation architecture, as well as countermeasures to same. It includes code to demonstrate several of the attacks.
https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/networkdevs/virtual-lan-security-weaknesses-countermeasures-1090

IMO the greatest weakness of VLAN is user error such as misconfiguration, bugs in software/firmware, etc.

Cheers
Thinker Rix

--
*Thinker Rix*, an internet user.