On 22/7/14 11:17 pm, Nickolai Leschov wrote:
I didn't notice this page. So it looks like it's some kind of thermal paste
allows for adequate thermal conductivity between the CPU/south bridge and
the aluminum heat spreader, but the heat spreader is in dry contact with
the case?

The one I've just installed here in my home office has 'sticky' thermal pads on both sides of the aluminium heat spreader, and sticks to both the chips and the base of the chassis.

It gets warm in use, but not uncomfortably hot. Ambient temperature is about 22C at this time of year.

Now, how is the board held in place, inside the enclosure? Is it held in
place by 'screws and hex nuts'?

4 screws in the corners which go into binding posts on the chassis, not particularly dissimilar from most PC motherboards into cases.

What is the thing in the second-to-last picture near the thumb of the
presenter's right hand: is it the SIM card tray? Is it accessible from
outside, after the installation?

There is a SIM card tray, and like the SD card slot, no, it's not accessible externally after installation.

(as a matter of curiosity, does pfSense support this SIM card slot for anything 'interesting'? - one presumes it would need to be used in conjunction with a miniPCIe radio card of some persuasion)

Kind regards,

Chris