So switching the CARP VIPs to IP Alias VIPs, in my config, does work (as I had
originally expected by the "all about VIPs" WiKi page) -- it just takes an hour
or so (in our case) for the up-stream equipment to "cache in" on those changes
... as was suggested by a couple of responders.

I've sent the WiKi admin some text to be added under the heading "Implications"
(or whatever they may want to title it), since some of the discussion points
are likely to be useful to others.

<soapbox>
BTW, this is a practice I'd encourage others to follow as there's often lots of
good information that "steams by" in this mailing list and is posted to the
forums.  While it is possible to find the information, if you know the correct
search terms, it's also often the case that some of the material should be
organized and added to the WiKi documentation.

Depending upon your writing apptitude, this will often only take minutes to
tens of minutes.  I look at this as a small way to contribute and to "pay back"
for the effort others have spent in helping.  If we supply HTML-formatted
additions, most of the time the WiKi admin should only have to do a quick
read-through before adding the material ... which means that it's likely to get
done.
<soapbox/>

Thanks, again, to all who participated.