> If that supermicro atom board is not ecc then memory could be a
> culprit.  I agree though:  Spinrite on an SSD?

See above about SpinRite. Actually have seen Level 2 force a Samsung SSD to
do the error correction to silently recover data that was not being read
back before.

> How are you rebooting it?  Remotely?

Since it was hard-locked, I had to hit the reset button on the front of the
case.

> Are your nic cards good?

They have been running with no problems for maybe 2 years.

>   Is
> your networking equipment good?

Connected to Avaya switches and they haven't had any other problems.
Networking within the same VLAN was working fine while the pfsense was
hard-locked.

> Never had a hard lock....but I did have drives that would idle out and
> crash pfsense. It is a known issue with BSD and I had to disable idle
> on the drives with WDIDLE.  I replaced those with an SSD though...just
> to get rid of that problem.
>
> If there is nothing in the logs, it could be losing connectivity to
> the drives though......I could never catch the logs with the idle out
> issue because the drives would just drop out of the system.

I could see the logs right up to the point it locked, so it was saving
right up to the time of the lock, but with no error messages or anything
else.

> Did you have access to the main console when this happened?  Does it
> have a VGA monitor?

VGA monitor is connected and there was nothing on the screen aside from the
console menu, so whatever triggered the lock did it before any error
messages were flushed to stdout.

I have the install CD for 2.3.2 and a fresh Intel 710 SSD ready to do a
clean install in case I do not find any other hardware problems.