On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM, compdoc <comp...@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> >>Coming back tonight to do memtest, SpinRite on the SSD, etc...,
>
> Spinrite on an ssd is a terrible idea. It's an ancient program thats even a
> bad idea to use on hard drives.
>
> It doesn't even work on drives larger than 1TB, because it was written in a
> time when drives were not that big. And there was no such thing as an SSD
> back then. Toss spinrite in the trash.
>
> If you want to know if a drive is failing, you just have to ask it. Just
> read the SMART info recorded in the drive.
>
> Memtest86+ on the other hand is a great idea, but you should let it run as
> many passes as possible. One or two passes is fine for new equipment, but
> with old ram that might be flakey, its best to run overnight or at least 4
> or 5 passes.
>
> If the motherboard is 4 or 5 years old, you might check for swollen
> capacitors, and many of the low cost power supplies go bad in a year or
> two.

I suggest you update your knowledge base on SpinRite. It has found a new
life in helping SSD drives to fix themselves. FYI, the SMART info is often
different depend on if the drive is under load. SpinRite puts the drive
under load, so you may not errors on the drive unless are running your own
seek application. The size limit is 2TB and the program will have a free
update in the near future to support drives >2TB. Most recommendations are
to use SpinRite in Level 2 mode (read only), but given that modern drives
have wear leveling, even running it read-write will not kill a drive that
does caching and basic wear leveling.

I'd suggest that before you slag programs, you not rely on old, outdated,
biased information. But that is just me...

Walter

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis