[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The point I was mainly interested in was this. Being REBOL
> strongly based on blocks, adding overhead could not be an option.
> Furthermore, once we have REBOL/View or REBOL/Media, performance
> can become important in some cases (as can be now with CGI, for
> example).

Wellll...  That's a two-edged sword, IMHO.  While there's certainly
some overhead if modifying an immutable series is done by modifying
a copy, there are also some gains to be had.

For example, if blocks were immutable, then one could safely implement
code-rewriting optimizations (or even hot-spot incremental compiling)
for blocks that serve as the bodies of functions.  It could also ease
the path to ROM-embedded REBOL code.

> It would not be difficult to implement mezzanine functions like
> those, if I'm getting the point. It's just a matter of:
>
> immutable-insert: func [series value] [insert copy series value]
>
> (of course with all the refinements etc. etc.)

Yeah, in programming its always the "refinements" that complicate
the job!  ;-)

-jn-