Hi Brett,

would you consider using AbiWord? It's a beautiful, open source, portable
word processor (still in prelease, but it rocks). The advantage is that
uses an XML based page description language that can easily be parsed using
REBOL's XML parser and then converted into the appropriate HTML.

you can download a copy at

http://www.abisource.com

Advantages:
1. AbiWord has a relatively small footprint (compared to MS Word). It loads
much faster.

2. You can download the source and you could conceivably add a button that
a) saves the current file,
b) starts up REBOL and has REBOL parse the saved file, and
c) posts the file to the Web site.

3. AbiWord is similar enough to MS Word that I would think that anyone who
can use MS Word will be able to figure out AbiWord quite easily.

4. Big plus: You do not place your solution in the hands of a 3rd party.
I.e. you control what your software does. With MS Word, if Microsoft
decides to change something about MS Word, and you happen to rely on that
feature, and your sister's company wants to use the new improved version of
MS Word, they will have to keep two versions of MS Word around, which may
cause confusion, take up alot of hard drive space, and conceivably
occassionally crash the computer.

I think we should adopt AbiWord as standard front end for text and XML
oriented interactive solutions that include REBOL as a scripting component.

At 07:25 PM 7/6/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Again I'm re-impressed with rebol. I spent yesterday and today parsing Rich
>Text Format files with rebol and it works a treat.
>Although I only got as far as loading RTF into Rebol blocks and words - but
>I'm still impressed.
>
>The situation I have is that I'm going to do up a web-site for my sister's
>company. I want to be able to implement a consistent style for the site and
>yet have my sister or her staff do the updates. Since they are not familiar
>with Web pages (and I don't think they should have to be), I was looking for
>some sort of automated process. I've done a lot of research on the web and I
>haven't seen a simple effective solution to this problem - the grail of
>content + presentation.
>
>I'd appreciate any comments on other peoples experiences with this sort of
>thing.
>
>I hope others may yet find a use for the code I've generated so far, so I
>placed it at rebol.org. And if you can use it let me know - I need the
>satisfaction :)
>
>The script can be found at http://www.rebol.org/general/rtf-tools.r
>
>Brett Handley