well...

I think the ";" is used as a comment so people who are comfortable with languages like
java, c, C++,
etc can still end statments with a semi-colon if they want to. the rebol interpreter
will just
ignore it.

ei.

print "hello";
ask "how do you do";

as for the brackets...[]... well when together, they look like blocks...don't they

take a look below

--[]
-[][]
[][][]

it looks like i stacked blocks on top of each other. My guess is carl chose [ and ]
for blocks
because it looks like a block when put together...

Rishi